Monday, August 29, 2011

First day in Mezotur


I made it to Mezotur! Niki, Erika and Sándor picked me up in Budapest and Janos (I’m not sure I spelled that right) drove all of us and Emily, to Szolnok where we dropped Emily off and did some shopping. We came back and they showed me where I would be living, it’s an apartment inside the old dormitory. You can watch my video tour for more details.

I was given time to unpack a little and then I got to have dinner with the principal and Niki.  More delicious Hungarian food and some discussion about the school, Hungary and the town.  We had palacsinta, a Hungarian dessert that is a pancake/crepe, it had chocolate sauce and a walnut filling. Finom! (Hungarian for delicious) I’ll have more pictures of the town later when I wander around  by myself.

That evening I unpacked some and tired as I was still didn’t get to bed until late. The bed is pretty comfy and large, it’s the size of  two of my old bed put together. I slept alright but it’s always hard in a new place.

The next morning dawned BRIGHT and early. I have giant windows and the sun is very bright, so I won’t have any trouble waking up in the morning. My windows look out on Petrofi ut, named after a famous Hungarian poet!

Unfortunately, it seems a mosquito or two must have gotten into my room last night as I woke up with about ten bug bites (but I got mosquito repellent stuff when I went shopping today)

I spent a few hours finishing my unpacking and getting everything put away. It is a nice feeling to be able to decide where everything goes etcetera. I then had lunch with Niki where we talked more about the school and my lessons. She generously agreed to take me shopping as I was a bit intimidated by trying to figure out what everything is in Hungarian! I got food and some stuff for the apartment as well as a map of Mezotur and some brochures about Hungary. One of the brochures is in Hungarian and English (and German) so I can try and figure out some new vocabulary.

I also learned to ask for sliced bread at the bakery: Szeletelt kenyér,  and then fele kilo, which is half kilo or 1 pound. The bakery smells amazing and I think I will be visiting it often.

We then went to the school and she showed me the English teacher’s room and my desk as well as getting me the books the teacher from last year left. I’m going to go through them and organize all the information I got during orientation.

Some random thoughts about my apartment:

-Not so sure about not having a separate living room and bedroom but I have plenty of room overall
-It took me a while to figure out how to get hot water in the bath but I successfully figured it out!
- Church bells going off for 4ish minutes at certain hours are going to take some getting used to
- The pottery in my room is gorgeous and I really need to get down to the pottery museum here
- I am going to be cooking on a hot plate and in a toaster oven so that should be interesting but I’m excited to make dinner tonight :D
- My TV gets ~ 20 channels but several are repeats, I get CNN in English though!!
- I have a DVD player in the TV but I can’t get it to open right now… I’ll work on it later
- Wi-fi in my flat is an excellent connection!
- tap water here is not great but I did an experiment to see how good my 'filter as you drink' water bottle is

Tap water on the left, filtered water on the right. Go technology!


Ok the flat tour video is taking way too long to upload, I'm not sure what I can do about it but I will hopefully have it up later.



2 comments:

  1. We're still unsure what to do with the combo couch/bed. So far, we've just left it in the "bed" formation, but will play around with what works best. The mattress that's on there isn't one that folds, so it's probably better for sleeping. But in order to make it a couch during the daytime, we'd have to prop the mattress up somewhere. Not sure if we want to do that or not. We got a water filter too! So much better. - Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bed is two twins pushed together but I've slept across the gap and it's still comfy. The bed will probably have to work as a couch when I have people over though, I have four chairs but it's the main seating in front of the TV.
    I need to get a water pitcher. I'm headed to the Spar down the street from me tomorrow!

    This took me three tries to post so if anyone is having trouble let me know.

    ReplyDelete