Sunday, August 28, 2011

Short Post While I Procrastinate Packing

More classes today; more exhaustion today. I am pretty much over jet lag but I never sleep as well in a new place and I won't be at the hostel long enough for it to feel like 'home.'

After classes we headed to Hősök Tere (Hero's square, sorry the Hungarian is in a different font. I have yet to figure out how to make the vowel with a double accent on my Mac, it's on the list) where Hajni explained some of the history behind the monument (that doesn't sound like a grand enough word for it, but it's all I have). I won't go into it now because there is no way I will do it justice, but if you like history read about the square and what it represents. I have to admit, one of the big draws for coming to Hungary was just how many years it's been around in some form or another. The historical background I need to catch up on is overwhelming but at the same time I'm fascinated by it.

I feel like I need to work on my transitions but you know what? Only friends are reading this so I am not terribly worried about my narrative voice, although I do need to recapture my Power of the Pen skills. Random topic changes are my downfall, at least everyone who knows me realizes that is just how my brain works.

Anyways, we ate at this restaurant -> www.bagolyvar.com and the food was amazing. I commented on the carved wooden owl decoration and one of the helpers, Jon, explained that bagoly is the Magyar word for owl and vár is the Magyar word for castle. So the name of the restaurant is basically the Owl Castle. We all got soup and I had the paprikás csirke (I am pretty sure I got that right). The meal was delicious and we even got dessert so it was a lovely farewell dinner for the program.

At dinner many of us new teachers got our first taste of pálinka, a Hungarian fruit brandy. Don't believe the Hungarians when they say you just taste the fruit, I could tell the first drink was pear but mostly it just burned, so after the first taste I just did it like a shot. It definitely has a kick and most Hungarians will tell you it's good for you because it kills germs! For the next drink we got málna (raspberry) and I actually just sipped it while eating my dessert. Jenna and Skye were across the table from me and made the best faces ever when trying the pálinka!

So that was our final night as a group in Budapest though I have a feeling all of us will be back at some point to see more of the city. Tomorrow morning we have to have moved out of our rooms and brought our bags down to the lobby by 9am. Our contact teachers come in for an info session with Hajni and Maria at 10am and then we all get together at noon before we scatter to the wind and our new cities/towns/villages. It is going to be strange to say goodbye to the group (for now) but I am excited to meet the teachers from my school and then get to see Mezőtur, my school and my apartment.

Jó éjszakát!



No comments:

Post a Comment